4/19/09

and they encamped

it's been awhile since my last post, but God has been blessing while teaching me to trust in Him and Him alone. I just want to share with you something good from todays devotions. I hope it is a blessing to you as it was to me. It is in Exodus 15:22-27. I will not type the whole passage but this event happens just after the children of Israel have been delivered by the hand of God from the Egyptians at the crossing of the Red Sea.

no sooner had they been delivered they find themselves at the bitter waters of Marah, verse 23. and they did what? they complained. in verse 25 we read that, “and there he proved them.” their whole position was orchestrated by God simply to test them. would they long for Egypt or would they put their trust in the one who delivered them? now that the Almighty God had received honor from Pharaoh and had destroyed their enemies, He only wanted them to trust in Him before moving forward. we say simply trust but too many times its harder to trust than it is to follow. see trust, or faith, “is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1).

verse 26 states, “If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the Lord, that healeth thee.” God is stating that if you trusted me to get you out of Egypt why can't you trust me to get you into Canaan? Marah is just a trial. if you think Marah is bad how will you make it through the wilderness? we've just started and now you're complaining. but they had to trust. we have to trust. I have to trust. and how? do that which is right in His eyes, give ear to His commandments and keep His statutes.

now here is the good part... if I do that, and only by His strength, I will find myself in a place of rest. verse 27 finds the Israelites in Elim filled with pure water and an abundance of palm trees for shade. it says they encamped. meaning they took up residence for a brief time until God moved them. daily in life's trials and tribulations I must submit myself to Him and Him alone. and daily I am tried and tested as God purifies with fire. but through it all I can find rest within the same hands that molds me. I must encamp within the one who has saved me, delivered me and conforms me to His image. in whom will you encamp?

No comments:

Post a Comment